Home remodeling is in.
For the moment, at least, the housing market has become prohibitively expensive for many families. And, so, more and more are deciding that if they cannot buy their dream home, they will create it by transforming their existing residence into the one that has thus far only existed in their imaginations.
Remodeling isn’t necessarily a swift process, however. Sure, projects can certainly be expedited when you collaborate with a professional contractor who knows their way around an addition or two, but there are still distinct and important steps that must be taken to make any overhaul truly successful.
So, what are the steps to remodeling a house? Let’s take a look at seven of the most integral.
- Step One: The Consultation – When hiring a home remodeler, the primary step is to schedule a kickoff meeting or consultation. Here, your contractor of choice will help you determine the size and scope of your project, closely listening to your wants and needs before making any suggestions whatsoever. This is where a cohesive vision is formulated. Your contractor will take the information gathered during this meeting to devise an estimate and proposed budget. Cossentino & Sons typically delivers prospects their estimates within a week following the initial kickoff meeting.
- Step Two: The Gameplan – After approving your project’s budget, design begins. During this stage, you will work closely with your remodeling company’s architect and designer to outline all home improvements moving forward. This is the exciting part. Have fun figuring out the style and specifics of your new home, while drawing from the expertise of your contractor and the entire remodeling team.
- Step Three: The Proposal – A detailed contract proposal will subsequently be created using the design and material choices outlined in step two. At Cossentino & Sons, a deposit is required at this stage, and project start and completion times are also established and agreed upon.
- Step Four: Permitting – The best home remodeling contractors will handle all paperwork that must be filled out before a project’s launch. Cossentino & Sons takes care of all permitting and applications before construction begins, ensuring that homeowners never have to lift a finger when it comes to the fine print.
- Step Five: The Walk-Through – The drywall is on deck, and the hammers and crosscut saws are standing by. An initial walk-through allows homeowners to kick off communication with a project manager. This will prove invaluable as construction begins and throughout the project.
- Step Six: Remodeling Begins – The best contractors go above and beyond during a home remodel to make their presence as unobtrusive as possible. Still, there is plenty of work to be done. Families should plan before the crew’s arrival. Take note of which rooms will be affected – and when – and relocate any breakables before construction starts. Make sure children and pets have a safe, secure place for playtime and rest. Most importantly, keep the lines of communication open. You and your remodeler should touch base frequently throughout the project to discuss progress and any potential concerns. As a family-owned and operated company, Cossentino & Sons understands the importance of home life, and our crews go out of their way to maintain a sense of normalcy for families during a home remodel.
- Step Seven: Final Touches – What are the steps to remodeling a house? Well, payment is, of course, a big one. But before you grab the checkbook, your contractor will conduct a final walkthrough of your home to discuss any last flourishes necessary to make you 100% satisfied with the job. Only then will your home remodeling project be complete.
Cossentino & Sons has been helping customers fully realize their dream homes for decades. We offer incredible craftsmanship, backed by integrity, and our team’s attention to detail makes every step successful – and every dollar in your budget count. Visit us online to learn more or call (410) 442-0000 to schedule a consultation.