Remodeling contractors who have been on the job for ages have seen it all – and then some – when it comes to home renovations and improvements, whether people are preparing their homes for sale, or finally embarking on that dream renovation they’ve been putting off for years. And still, sadly, some homeowners continue to make the same renovation mistakes that could have been avoided with the proper counsel.
Here are just six common renovation mistakes that can doom a project before it even has a chance to get underway.
- Not hiring a pro: Doing it yourself, or even considering it, is a risky proposition. We don’t recommend it. First and foremost, you should want someone who is properly licensed, insured, and trained to conduct a thorough job, with a meticulous eye to detail, and to be versed in the ins and outs of all processes and protocols. The seal of approval that a professional provides – from helping to determine and manage scope to offering knowledgeable support for the unforeseen and sometimes hidden concerns that frequently rear their heads once walls start coming down – is simply invaluable.
- Hiring a contractor based solely on cost. We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again – when you do start your search for a professional remodeling contractor, price is important, but it should be used as a divining rod for finding the right collaborator. Choosing a contractor based solely on price is a quick ticket to disappointment. The mantra “you get what you paid for” has never been quite so adequate as when dealing with home improvements. Find someone who will work throughout the day and night to bring the best out of your budget.
- Rushing into things. Plan your work, work your plan. Even the smallest home addition is a big deal. You don’t want to be second-guessing once the drywall has come down. Before construction begins, before the work crews have arrived and the first hammer or nail has seen the light of day – be sure you’ve consulted and planned with a top-notch remodeling contractor who is committed to doing their best work to realize your vision.
- Not taking safety seriously. Renovation mistakes are not only frustrating, they can also be dangerous. Only professionals with decades of training and expertise can truly anticipate the safety issues present in a home remodeling project, which involves components such as plumbing, electric, gas, and more. They will also take care to make expert accommodations for families with children and pets and will do everything in their power to limit the stress placed on day-to-day life.
- Not emphasizing flow. The natural flow of your home is everything. If you are constantly needing to travel long distances to conduct simple tasks, or if everything always feels out of reach – flow is most certainly an issue. When it comes time for your home remodel, make sure this is high on your to-do list to discuss with contractors.
- Putting off appliances. The right appliances can make the room. Cabinets may very well be one of the most substantial costs of a kitchen redo, but custom and/or luxury appliances are critical, too. Don’t wait until the last minute to start your selection, or you may be faced with a lack of space for those special amenities you truly want and need.
Whatever your home renovation project entails, remember: the devil is in the details (and so are the most common renovation mistakes). Enlisting the talents of professional contractors can ultimately help you avoid discrepancies surrounding aesthetics, comfort, flow, and so much more after the fact. Cossentino & Sons Remodeling & Design does home remodeling right. By emphasizing family, we regularly rise above our client’s expectations and make the best calls for any project. Call us at 410-442-0000 to learn more or reach out to us online.